The Burning Pillow

The Burning Pillow

Recently a girl 13 years of age from Texas name Ariel Tolfree discovered her smoldering Samsung Galaxy S4 on her pillow. Tolfree says her phone slipped under her pillow as she fell asleep, and the smell of something burning woke her up in the night. Her dad Thomas Tolfree, suspects the phone overheated, causing the battery to swell and start a fire.
“We have a reasonable expectation that the products we buy are going to be safe,” said Thomas. A spokesperson for Samsung says their products are safe, and pointed out that the battery inside the phone was a replacement unit and not an original Samsung part. Nevertheless, the company does agree there is a need for consumer education when it comes to rechargeable batteries. That’s exactly why they post a warning in their user guide, which specifically states covering one of their devices with bedding or other material could restrict airflow and cause a fire.
The Samsung spokesperson said they take any instance of a battery fire very seriously. They have requested the burned phone be sent to them so they can fully investigate. In the meantime, the phone, the bedding, the mattress and pillow will all be replaced by Samsung.